DUMAGUETE CITY AND NEGROS ORIENTAL THREAD V
THE CITY OF DUMAGUETE
capital of Negros Oriental, is situated on the plains of the southeastern coast of the Island of Negros, near the mouth of the Banica River. It is bounded on the North by the town of Sibulan; on the East by TaÃ±on Strait and Mindanao Sea, serving as a natural border to the neighboring provinces of Cebu and Siquijor; on the West by the town of Valencia; and on the South by the town of Bacong.
"Dumaguete" was coined from the Visayan word "daggit" which means "to snatch". Because of the frequent marauding attacks of the Muslim pirates on the coastal town, and the power to attract and keep her visitors for good, hence, the word "dumaguet", meaning "to swoop," was christened to the village of Dumaguete. However, Diego Lopez Povedano in 1572, indicated the place as "Dananguet." But in 1734, Murillo Velarde referred to it, using its present name, as Dumaguete.
In 1890, the island-province of Negros was divided into two politico-military provinces, Occidental and Oriental. As earlier constituted, in 1898, Dumaguete was included in Negros Oriental. After the Philippine-American War, on May 1, 1901, a civil government was established by the Americans in the Province of Negros Oriental, including Dumaguete. When World War II broke out, the city was occupied by the Japanese Imperial Forces on May 26, 1942. It was liberated on April 26, 1945 by the combined forces of the U.S. Army and the Filipino guerrillas. On June 15, 1948 or three years later, Republic Act No. 327, created the City of Dumaguete. Later, on June 21, 1969, Republic Act No. 5797 was enacted, otherwise known as the Revised Charter of Dumaguete City.